Tackling Reupholstery

It’s been so long since my last post! I can’t believe how fast July went by. Don’t worry, I will share a few of our adventures with you guys! First project I wanted to share from this past month is my very first upholstery project. I’ve been wanting to reupholster something (anything) for quite some time now, and I finally had the chance to try it out. I went to my local Habit for Humanity Re-store and picked up a $5 chair. Five dollars! If you have one nearby and are looking for super used furniture that you want to bring back to life, I highly suggest going. That place blew my mind. They even had granite slabs! And now I’ve talked myself to going back and seeing what new stuff they have…

Anyways, I got this super cute chair. I wanted a chair for the blue guest bedroom so guests could use it as a seat if they wanted or use it as somewhere to set their bags on, or anything, really. The room is big enough to include a little something extra, so I thought this would be perfect. It’s not too big, by any means. It is more of a small dining chair, maybe. But I loved the shape and character that it had, especially the back frame. My friend and I examined it to make sure it could be taken apart, and we thought we had it mostly figured out. The rest, I was sure, YouTube and Google could tell me. I was right about that, thank goodness!

IMG_6803
Isn’t the frame awesome?

I picked up some fabric from Jo-Ann’s and was able to finish it in 2 days. I couldn’t believe how quick it went! First, I took apart the chair. I had read a trick somewhere to carefully take the fabric apart so you can use it as a stencil when cutting your new fabric. Very important! The seat fabric came off pretty easy, and was pretty simple to figure out. They didn’t staple the fabric underneath the seat though. Instead, they stapled it along the outer edge and then made a sort of trim to cover the staples. Clever clever! The seat was impossible to take off, so I just did it the same way. Worked pretty well!

IMG_6804
I propped the chair upside down to remove the seat fabric. The cushioning was still in great shape!
IMG_6806
Seat is all stapled on!

As for the back, I had to do some research. I found a really awesome tutorial provided by Kelsey Elaine (also see Part 2) which made my life a whole lot easier. It was pretty cool to see exactly how everything stayed together on the chair back. I learned so much! One thing I definitely learned: if you can, use a pneumatic staple gun! I was using a construction (or manual) staple gun and holy smokes, it was way harder than it needed to be. Plus, I think with a pneumatic staple gun the staples would have gone in a lot cleaner. So next time, I am definitely doing that. Of course, I forgot to take pictures of the back in progress…

Once I had my fabric on, I decided to paint the frame. In hindsight, I probably should have painted it before I even started, or after I had gotten the original fabric off. But I didn’t decide to until after my new fabric was already one. Oh well! I made sure to cover the fabric completely and sacrificed my fingers if I thought fabric might have gotten sprayed. It worked a lot better than I was expecting, and the fabric was paint free in the end!

Last up was the trim. I ended up getting some fabric ribbon from Target. I didn’t really like the options at the fabric store. Maybe I didn’t find all of it, but the ones I found were either too frilly or too sparkly. I got a simple tan ribbon with a blue stripe going down the middle of it. I used a hot glue gun to attach it to the fabric on the chair wherever staples were showing, which worked incredibly well. Then I was done!

IMG_6808

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s