I got one window project done! As you might remember, I got a couple of windows from a friend (for free!). I decided to use the first window as a sort of photo frame and shelf combo. I was originally planning on hanging it in the entry way, but it was a little bigger than I expected. Luckily, there was a blank area along our brick wall to the left of the television. I knew it seemed a bit empty before, and the window accents it perfectly!
*This post contains affiliate links.
This project was super simple. First, I got a couple of thin brackets from Home Depot. I wanted them to be on the smaller side to make sure that they fit within the window frame. Someday I will find an excuse to get some real corbels…just not yet. I attached the brackets to the window frame so that they were flush with the top of the frame. I then used a scrap piece of wood for the shelf portion. That’s the good thing about always having projects – there are always pieces of scrap wood to use! I sanded the edges of the shelf so that it had a rounded finish to give it a more worn feel. I then attached the shelf to the window and the brackets using a combination of screws and nails. Once it was all put together, I painted everything white so that it was all the same color. The window frame looked white when it was on its own, but it turned out to be a cream color. Luckily it didn’t take me too long to tape the glass portions of the window. To be honest, I didn’t even sand down the existing paint. This surface was never going to be used, so I’m not worried about the paint chipping off or anything.
Once everything was dry, I brought it inside and attached the photos. I had read about using Modge Podge to attach them, but I didn’t want anything permanent. I know that I will eventually get tired of having the same photos everywhere so I want to be able to change out them out every once in a while. I found some clear photo squares at Target and hoped that they would do the trick. I printed out my chosen photos and got everything lined up. When I was attaching the photo squares, I was a little surprised that the photo squares were about 1/8 inch thick, but I figured that it didn’t matter a whole lot. Plus, if it looked horrible, I could peel them off and try again with something else. Turns out, they worked perfectly! You can see the photo squares if you stand really closely to the photos, but you definitely can’t see them from the couch or anything.
I used concrete anchors and d-ring hangers to attach the window to the brick wall. Luckily the hubby has masonry drill bits. Makes all the difference in the world when drilling into the grout! I added a couple of photos to the shelf, and voila! Now our brick wall looks complete!