Barn Doors

It’s been a while! I thought I would share one of the greatest projects we have had since we got our house. We have an opening between our living/dining room and our computer/puppy room. It is about 5 1/2 feet wide, and there is about 3 feet of wall space on each side. The instant we got the house we knew that we wanted to put some reclaimed wood barn doors there! They would stay open most of the time, and would look great hanging on either side of the opening. I am not going to put every step we took to make these beauties, but it was a lot of work. The BF did most of it (which is why it would be hard for me to explain everything in great detail), but if you have any questions feel free to ask!

The BF went to a reclaimed wood place and chose some really pretty redwood slats that would be used for the doors. They were pretty banged up, but we loved all of the knots and cracks and colors that came with them.

IMG_2066

The only problem with all of these are that they weaken the door, and we didn’t want to have to be fragile with them. We (yes, we; this was basically the only part I helped with) used epoxy resin and used coffee grounds to fill in all of the cracks. The best way we found was to pack each crack with coffee grounds first, and then use a syringe to add the epoxy. This way the epoxy didn’t run through the wood, but it still held it all together incredibly well.

IMG_2072

Then we coated the entire slats with polyurethane. The front of the slats got two coats and the backs only needed one.

The BF then stripped the slats that would go across the three main slats of each door, which would be holding everything together. We coated those in polyurethane too, and then the doors were pretty much built!

This was very exciting to come home to!
This was very exciting to come home to!

We got a flat track piece of steel from a local steel place, and got the rollers and the rustic nuts and bolts from Ebay. The spacers between the steel track and the support beam are just wooden dowels with a hole drilled through them. Everything was spray painted black to look nice, but also to prevent rusting.

The BF mounted everything up onto the wall, and then attached the rollers to the door. It was important to measure the shortest height between the top of the track an the floor. The floor isn’t necessarily perfectly level, and you have to make sure that the doors are perfectly level and that they won’t scrape along the floor at all. This is why it is good that the BF is a perfectionist!

IMG_2171

IMG_2227

IMG_2240

The BF also sawed a slit along the bottom of each door, but didn’t go through each end. He then put a small bracket type thing along bottom of the wall so that it fit into the slit. This kept the doors flat against the wall and prevented them from swinging. It also acted as a stopper so that the doors can only go as far into the middle of the door and don’t hit the walls on either edge of the doors. Pretty ingenious if you ask me, especially because I didn’t really like the idea of seeing a stopper.

IMG_2228

IMG_2235

IMG_2243

And they were complete! These definitely get the most compliments of the house! These and the floors of course 🙂

Before...
Before…
After!
After!
And if we ever wanted them closed!
And if we ever wanted them closed!
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s